Having a rough day are we?
Well, your in the right place! Ok, ok so you may have gotten a speeding ticket on the way home. Maybe you just got dumped by your ex who coincidentally really needs YOUR best friend for support. Or maybe your big plans for tonight just fell through after you’ve literally spent 2 hours slapping all the crap on your face in an effort to look good.
Well that sucks but you know what doesn’t? All the little things in your day that you may have ignored to begin with but suddenly are now the highlight of your day. I’ll be honest, I’ve had a few shit days here and there but it’s always been the smallest thing that reignites my optimism. This renewed optimism is usually in the form of instant satisfaction, I enjoy these things so much I made a list!
So, here are 21 little wins that will make your day that much more satisfactory, if they don’t well then make you own list. I’m not your mother.
1. Matching socks.
When this happens it’s proof there is a god. Well, a sock god anyway. If I see a pair of matching sock first thing in the morning then I know … today will be a good day.
2. Afternoon cuddles with your significant other (human or animal .. sometimes I prefer the latter)
Honey, I’ve had a rough day can we cuddle on the couch while I watch Game of Thrones? Oh you don’t want to? Tough shit, you’re doing it.
3. Waking up before your alarm goes off and you’re not tired.
Wow, I’m awake AND I have Energy!? Wtf is going on here? Well seeing as how I’m up now I might go and work out .. I said MIGHT.
4. Paying a bill on time.
Victory! Now I don’t have to dodge private number phone calls for the rest of the month. On second thought, I’ll continue to do so just incase…
5. Sitting in a waiting room and there are up-to date magazines available to read.
The most horrifying thing about a doctors office is being forced to read magazines from 1997 or reader digest. Your having a good day if your in a waiting rooms and the magazine is from this decade. Success!
6. Finding a funny meme online and losing my shit in fits of laughter.
Yes, meme are still funny. IDGAF what people say. example below:
7. Detouring through a fast food drive through on the way home after a rough day and giving zero f**ks about all your hard work at the gym you’re about to ruin.
It’s been on of those days where you need your best friend by your side. Then you realise your best friend will give you good advice that you just can’t handle right now, so you get a Big Mac instead. Problem solved.
8. Hanging all your washing out on a sunny day and actually have it dry entirely.
If you live in Auckland, NZ you will understand how much of a luxury this is. The weather here is bipolar and the weather man is often 98% wrong most times. If you see sun, get it on the line and pray as you walk away.
9. Matching Bra and Undies or the male alternative, clean underwear.
Picture John Travolter in Greese and the trail of confidence he leaves behind his swagger of a strut. Yes, today I’m John Travolter and this day is my bitch.
10. A Full Tank of Gas
Idea: Let’s drive 2 hours out of our way to try that raw vegan cafe I saw on instagram then hit the yoga studio for an hour long session.
Reality: Let’s drive through McDonalds then go to the home, because this gas has gotta last me two weeks.
A secret meal you get after breakfast but before lunch. Why did no one tell you about this magical meal when you were little!? Those selfish adults…
12. Having a group of friends that have actually grown up the same time as you
You know that friend that still lives at home with their parents and has no financial responsibility, doesn’t understand how the real world works and still believes in the tooth fairy? Me neither, I don’t have friends like that.
13. Being able to watch a TV series from start to finish in the span of 4 days or less.
So, I haven’t showed in 2 days, my cat is giving me that ‘feed-me or i’ll shit in the house’ look and all of my house plant have died. Regardless, I’ve now watched every episode of GoT and Empire and if I die tomorrow, my soul will be at peace.
14. Doing the grocery shopping and realising your an adult. Therefore you CAN buy that packet of chocolate biscuits and stash them at the back of the cupboard for later.
Because that’s what adults do to hide things from other adults.
15. Having a clean car
Huh, so my dash board is actually a light caramel tan, not shit-brown. Go figure…
16. Having coffee with a good friend
Coffee is improves my energy levels and friendship de-creases my stress levels. A genuine win-win situation.
17. Spending the whole day secluded for some much needed alone time and eating whatever the f**k you like (pyjamas optional).
Today I will not participate in the world and that’s just fine with me. Regular life will resume tomorrow….
18. Having a day time nap.
I have a million things on my to-do list and most are classed as urgent, but f**k it…I’m having a nap instead.
19. Completing your daily to-do list by lunch time.
Wow, now have a spare afternoon with nothing to do, what just happened ? I’m usually much less productive than this! I wonder how long this ‘new me’ is going to stick around?
20. Finally getting around to doing those chores you alway said you would
I know I said it 6months ago but i mean it this time! Wardrobe organised, check. Shoe closet organised, check. Garden weeding? Um, I would but it looks like it’s going to rain in the next 1-7 days so I’d better not risk it. Oh well.
21. Dressing for comfort over anything.
Some how my ‘quick trip to the supermarket’ jeans have also become my ‘clubbing’ jeans, ‘daily errands’ jeans, ‘dinner with friends jeans’ and ‘shopping for new jeans’ jeans. Occasionally people compliment me on my ‘effortless and cool style’ but the truth is 90% of my washing is dirty and these were the only clean clothes in reach.